p Picks and Pecks: recipe: devilled eggs

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

recipe: devilled eggs

Want a savory way to make the most of eggs-tra eggs? I can't believe it took me till college to try devilled eggs, but it was a happy party in my mouth that summer evening.

The name is a bit of a misnomer, because the eggs are not really spicy. Seems like the old-fashioned name is a bit of a throwback to the 18th century when the term "deviled" referred to any dish that was highly seasoned. Either their palates were very bland in those ages, or mustard was a lot more pungent then! 

Take a few hardboiled eggs, slice them in half and scoop out the yolks into a bowl. They are combined with mayonnaise, dijon mustard, salt and white pepper. The mash is then piped back into the emptied egg white shells - and I sprinkle some paprika and dill over the top for a bit of color. 

The result? Essentially a yummier version of an egg salad, without the bread. Perfectly bite-sized too - fun sized!

p.s. I realized after researching the name, that they have a much prettier name - eggs mimosa. I think I'll referred to the eggs this way from now on...

No comments:

Post a Comment