p Picks and Pecks: review: b&g oysters

Sunday, October 13, 2013

review: b&g oysters

address: 550 Tremont Street, Boston, Massachusetts, 02118
tel: 617-423-0550
website: http://bandgoysters.com/

Driving up to Boston brought back so many memories - of going to Fenway Park to watch the Red Sox, walking back home from work along the Common...

It was a beautiful afternoon when I pulled up at B&G Oysters. I knew this had to be my first top in Boston because I've been hankering for a lobster roll ever since I'd left Boston for KL. It never made sense to have one anywhere else - why bother with pale imitations, when you need a proper New England establishment to serve you one?!

Walking down the steps in an orderly fashion, I decided to slowly ease back into it by having a dozen oysters all to myself. Seated at the counter, I made my selection from the daily specials.

This was definitely going to be one indulgent lunch! It's been 5 years since I have been back to the US and this wasn't the time to rush through each briny mouthful. Each oyster was distinctly flavored, but I definitely preferred the brinier ones.

Next, a clam chowder so luscious and thick, a spoon could stand upright in it. It went down like a comforting blanket, because despite the sun outside, the weather was still blustery for mid-May. I could taste the chunky clams that dotted the bowl, underscored by the smoky taste of bacon. You can't find chowder like this anywhere else, and definitely not on the other side of the world. 

Finally, the main course! A New-England style hot-dog bun, split down the top and toasted; piled high with delicate, sweet lobster meat, tossed in a light mayonnaise  punctuated by the crunch of celery. There was so much lobster, it was spilling off the sides of the roll as I lifted it to my mouth in a glorious mouthful of messy decadence. 

The pickles, coleslaw and huge mound of freshly fried french fries (ooh, alliteration!) were almost forgotten accompaniments. Unfortunate though, because each one was prepared with care. The coleslaw was fresh and light, the pickles provided a sour punch that revived my appetite after all that food, and the fries were sliced thin and fried so that each bite cracked as my teeth bit through it. 

The sun was already starting to set as I left B&G, feeling replete and satisfied that - finally, I was back in Boston.

address: 550 Tremont Street, Boston, Massachusetts, 02118
tel: 617-423-0550
website: http://bandgoysters.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment