p Picks and Pecks: review: dutch eating place

Sunday, September 22, 2013

review: dutch eating place

address: Reading Terminal Market, 1136 Arch St, Philadelphia, PA 19107-2956

A delicious and satisfying breakfast if there ever was one! I eat here at least once, every time I am in Philly. The best part is that I am able to kill two birds with one stone, since I am able to shop in the market after a sustaining breakfast!

The Dutch Eating Place is tucked in a corner of the market. If you can't spot the sign above, just look for the long line of diners-to-be, especially on weekends. To be fair, customers are extremely understanding and don't linger around after eating, ensuring that the line keeps moving.

If you are stuck waiting in line anyway, at least take the time to decide on your breakfast. Although there are quite a few choices on the board, my breakfast has always been the french toast with turkey bacon. 

The staff here are always friendly and smiling - no small feat given the number of customers they see over the weekend. I usually just opt to sit at the counter - it makes for faster service as well!

The french toast always comes piping hot - so hot, it melts the pat of butter into a golden ooze next to the stack. It looks so simple, but its definitely satisfying, with the eggy bread accented with cinnamon. I've tried and tried to replicate this recipe, but I've never succeeded!

I also sometimes order scrapple with breakfast, when I'm feeling more indulgent. Its basically a  mixture of pork bits and pieces that have been mixed with corn meal and flour and deep-fried. It reminds me of the spam sandwiches my grandmother used to make for me as a kid. It's not healthy - but its definitely a guilty pleasure, especially when the outside is a crispy dark golden brown, like it is here!

address: Reading Terminal Market, 1136 Arch St, Philadelphia, PA 19107-2956

No comments:

Post a Comment