p Picks and Pecks: review: bistro db

Saturday, May 18, 2013

review: bistro db

address: 2 bayfront ave, the shoppes @ marina bay sands
tel: (65) 6688-8525
site: http://www.dbbistro.com/singapore/

Hm. A light lunch... now where would one go for that? DB Bistro apparently - since I was strolling around Marina Bay Sands. I really wasn't feeling that hungry honestly, since I had a late breakfast, so I thought I would settle for a small platter of meats.

Or so I thought, before a bowl of warm bread was placed before me as I was choosing my lunch. Nibbling on the bread was already starting to sate my hunger...

Charcuterie Assiette Lyonnaise
Selection of House Made Terrines, Cured Meats, Pain de Campagne, Pickles & Mustard

The platter that arrived came looking like a garden - dotted with cured radishes and mushrooms. Some items were recognizable - cured hams, salamis... but also meats, fish and melon balls. A savory way to start the meal, with small bites that were complemented by the mustard so it didn't feel too heavy. Everything tasted really good - and more importantly, everything tasted different! The cured mushrooms were the biggest surprise - really delicious!

Soupe A L’Oignon
Classic Onion & Beef Consommé, Gruyère Croûton

A French bistro must, right? I wanted to compare the taste of the soup with what I could make at home. This soup had a lot more depth, and the onions were a lot darker and caramelized. I would love to try to make this at home... but it would probably take me twice the amount of time!

Hm. Maybe a cheese platter for dessert was not the right choice. I love cheese - I really do! But this came supplemented with more bread! I had a selection of cheese ranging from mild to funky... complemented with fruit jams and nuts. The maitre d' also recommended a glass of port to complement the cheeses - something I don't normally do, but what the heck! 

Just when I was about to call it an afternoon with a cup of coffee, the staff came along with a bowl of warm madeleines. These were a delight, small puffs of citrus-scented batter. 

The service at Daniel was great as well - I would definitely come back here if I could, but perhaps this time I'll have more of the cooked food so that I can taste what comes out of the kitchen.

address: 2 bayfront ave, the shoppes @ marina bay sands
tel: (65) 6688-8525
site: http://www.dbbistro.com/singapore/

No comments:

Post a Comment