p Picks and Pecks: recipe: bouillabaisse

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

recipe: bouillabaisse

I got gifted a pouch of saffron recently. This is the first time that I've actually seen saffron in person - these thin, delicate stamens from the crocus. Would they actually be able to impart any flavour? They seemed so fragile. But once I kept them in a container, and opened it after storing in the fridge for a few hours, I got a whiff of soft, floral scent - reminiscent of a sweet chrysanthemum tea.

But what to do with them? I had never made anything that seemed to demand saffron, so it would seem that I needed to try out a new recipe. Serendipitously (is that even a word?), I turned on the TV, and saw Eric Ripert making bouillabaisse... when I saw him sprinkling saffron onto his chicken, I knew I was on to something!

The ingredients were pretty simple. I cut down on the ingredient list in the recipe, and just stuck to the basics: 
  • clams, 
  • squid, 
  • chicken, 
  • fennel, 
  • baby potatoes, 
  • onion and 
  • garlic.
Note: I like to give my clams a quick blanch to open them up so I can pick out any which are filled with mud and grit - one bad clam can ruin an entire pot of food! Because they're already almost cooked, I add them in a lot later in the cooking process.



I heated a Dutch oven and browned the chicken  in batches, leaving space between the pieces so that they wouldn't steam in the juices they released.

The next part happens quite quickly. I added the onion, garlic and fennel into the pan (top) and let them sweat until they started to turn brown (second picture). I then added the chicken pieces back into the pot (third picture) along with the potatoes. To this I added some tomato paste and white wine (bottom picture). 

Note: I would have added some Pernod to this, but since this was my first try I thought buying an entire bottle was a bit too much of an investment!

Once the bouillabaisse got cooking, it looked like this:

I then made the garlic aioli by mixing an egg yolk with some mustard, lemon juice and finely crushed garlic. Rather than use a food processor for this small amount, I actually beat it by hand with a whisk - its not really as hard as it sounds!

When the potatoes were cooked enough so that a skewer could be poked through, I added the clams and the squid into the simmering bouillabaisse before turning off the heat. The residual heat was enough to cook the seafood without turning the squid tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment